Sunday, February 8, 2009

Grammy Predictions

I like to think that I'm really good at predicting outcomes of Award shows. Now I'm testing whether I am in fact good at it or I'm just delusional. Probably a combination of the two. So here are my predictions of who I think will win coveted Grammy's (for categories that I deem pertinent) and who I hope wins in each category.

Record of the Year

Nominees: Adele - Chasing Pavements, Coldplay - Viva La Vida, Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love, M.I.A. - Paper Planes, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Please Read The Letter

Who I want to win: Adele

Who I think will win: Adele

Synopsis: Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I really believe that Adele is going to be the "surprise" winner at this years Grammy's. Her album "19" is fantastic and "Chasing Pavements" appeals to music connaisseur's and pop fans alike. Sure Coldplay could make a push but that song was just OK and they straight stole it from Joe Satriani. Bleeding Love was pretty fucking money but let's be real "Chasing Pavements" takes it out back and has it's way with it when the crowds go home.

Album of the Year

Nominees: Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends, Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III, Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand, Radiohead - In Rainbows

Who I want to win: Ne-Yo - Year of the Gentleman

Who I think will win: Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Synopsis: Very weak category this year. Coldplay's album is decent not great, Weezy's album was ultimately disappointing despite being the best selling album of the year. Radiohead, well, they're Radiohead and their album was pretty good but let's be real it's not the best album of the year by any stretch of the imagination. The only album I didn't listen to was Robert Plant's so maybe that's a winner and I just missed it. Ne-Yo's album I liked and it's really just the best of a bad group. I'd be blown away if "Year of the Gentleman" actually wins though.

Song of the Year

Nominees: American Boy, Chasing Pavements, I'm Yours, Love Song, Viva La Vida

Who I want to win: Chasing Pavements

Who I think will win: Chasing Pavements

Synopsis: It's not surprise that I'm pulling for Adele here but I actually think she has a shot in this one. This is a real solid category and some serious competition. This could go to anyone really with the notable exception of "Viva La Vida" since they just stole the song.

Best New Artist


Nominees: Adele, Duffy, Jonas Brothers, Lady Antebellum, Jazmine Sullivan

Who I want to win: Adele

Who I think will win: Jazmine Sullivan

Synopsis: Another very tough category. Everyone is worthy (although I'm not very acquainted with Lady Antebellum) except the Jonas Brothers. I mean I guess people like them right? And by people I of course mean your 10 year old sister. Jazmine Sullivan probably deserves this as much as anyone because her album was extremely solid and she's an amazing artist. Duffy also is pretty good but again I really think Adele should be the winner but I just don't see her sweeping all these categories.

Here are my predictions for some other categories:

Best Female Pop Performance

My horse: Adele - Chasing Pavements

Expected Winner: Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love

Best Male Pop Performance


My Horse: Ne-Yo - Closer

Expected Winner: Ne-Yo - Closer

Best Pop Vocal Album

My Horse: Leona Lewis - Spirit

Expected Winner: Leona Lewis - Spirit

Best Dance Recording


My horse: Rihanna - Disturbia

Expected Winner: Lady Gaga - Just Dance

Best Rock Album:


My Horse: Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night

Expected Winner: Coldplay - Viva La Vida

Best Female RnB Vocal Performance


My Horse: Jazmine Sullivan - Need U Bad

Expected Winner: Alicia Keys - Superwoman

Best Male RnB Vocal Performance


My Horse: Ne-Yo - Miss Independent

Expected Winner: Ne-Yo - Miss Independent

Best RnB Album

My Horse: Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It

Expected Winner: Jennifer Hudson - Jennifer Hudson

Best Contemporary RnB Album

My Horse: J. Holiday - Back Of My Lac

Expected Winner: Jazmine Sullivan - Fearless

Best Rap Solo Performance

My Horse: Lil Wayne - A Milli

Expected Winner: Lil Wayne - A Milli

Best Rap Song


My Horse: Lil Wayne - Lollipop

Expected Winner: Lil Wayne - Lollipop

Best Rap Album


My Horse: T.I. - Paper Trail

Expected Winner: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

Producer Of The Year

My Horse: Will.I.Am

Expected Winner: Will.I.Am

No comments: