Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Karaoke


I definitely fuck with some Karaoke. Some of my best nights out have been when I go to Karaoke bars. I'm a creature of habit so I tend to stick with my big guns whenever I'm picking songs. You know the basics, Stevie Wonder, "La Isla Bonita" maybe some Bob Marley a Bryan Adams song or two. The classics. Once in a while you have to push the envelope though. For instance, one New Years Eve in DC I decided it would be a good idea to get up there and sing Lionel Richie's, "Hello." Everyone loves this song whether they admit it or not. I'll give you some advice if you want to attempt this one. Make sure as many of your friends are watching when you get up there and butcher the fuck out of this song. Otherwise you run the high risk of looking like the saddest human being on the planet. This happened to me. Luckily I was shitfaced and didn't really notice but for someone else that could potentially be very embarrassing. I bring all this up because I'm debating whether to throw Seal's, "Kiss From A Rose" in the repertoire. Let's break it down:

Upside:

I can sing this in my sleep
Everyone secretly likes it
Dramatic hand and body gestures will definitely be involved

Downside:

Not an upbeat song (always dangerous a la "Hello")
Dramatic hand and body gestures will definitely be involved

So if you see me in the club, I'll be acting real nice. I ain't hear to hurt nobody but I will be singing some karaoke.

No comments: